ALL ABOUT SCOIL AONGHUSA
Scoil Aonghusa is a co-educational Special School for children between the ages of four and eighteen with Moderate General Learning Disabilities, Severe & Profound General Learning Disabilities and Autistic Spectrum Disorder. We also have one early intervention class for children with Autism from the age of three.
We accept each child as an individual and adapt the curriculum to meet his/hers specific needs. Our aim is for students to reach their full potential, allowing them to participate in school, home and community life, to the maximum of their ability.
At Scoil Aonghusa we recognise the importance of educating the whole child therefore we provide a wide variety of extra curriculum activities which include swimming, pony riding, sports, including involvement in Special Olympics and also accessing the local community.
Scoil Aonghusa is governed by a Board of Management in accordance with the Rules for National Schools.
We teach all subjects in the Primary School Curriculum, with the exception of Gaeilge (Irish). The NCCA guidelines for Teachers of Students with Special Needs are used to adapt the content of the curriculum so as to meet the needs of our pupils.
The subjects taught to all students include:
· Communication and Language: Receptive and Expressive Language; Reading; Writing; Augmentative Methods of Communication.
· Social, Environmental and Scientific Education (S.E.S.E.): History; Geography; Science.
· Social and Personal and Health Education (S.P.H.E.).
· Arts Education: Visual Arts; Music; Drama.
· Physical Education: Athletics; Aquatics; Dance; Gymnastics; Games; Outdoor and Adventure Activities.